Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pizza Hunting in Napoli (Naples Part 1)

The best part of Naples for me is indisputably its pizza.

1. Brandi Pizzeria


Famous for being the birthplace of the Margherita pizza, Brandi is definitely worth visiting as it offers an almost different ambience from the other pizzerias we have visited.







































The setting was more formal and had that old rustic feel.







































The pizzas here are a little pricer at 8.50 euros for the Margherita pizza (the pizza on the left), which is the signature pizza here that you absolutely have to try!






















Ready to dig in!























Where the magic happens...






































I enjoyed dining at Brandi's and went back happy that night, despite the horrible first day I had in Naples.

Do call to make a reservation as the seating area is limited.
http://www.brandipizzeria.com/prenotazioni-online



2. L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele


































































































This is where the movie "Eat Pray Love" was filmed, so you will definitely be seeing pictures of Julia Roberts enjoying her pizza in every other corner of the pizzeria.







































The pizzeria is always bustling with people since the average waiting time is an hour with a service wait of twenty minutes. (They do not take bookings, BUT it is WORTH the wait!) You can always pick up a queue number and explore around the neighbourhood, but do look out for pillions on scooters as you are walking along the streets.













































Of all the pizzerias, I will have to say that Michele is my favourite. I like the fact that the pizzas were unpretentious and the whole ambience was really down-to-earth.

Plus all the staff are positive, energetic and beaming with pride as well.

The guy at the oven even took a minute off to snap a picture, how enthusiastic are they! which probably translated to all that goodness in the pizza.

Even though they only serve 2 types of pizza, it was either the Marinara or the Margherita, both were worth having. The pizzas are also reasonably priced at 4 euros each!
The servings are huge but they are not so heavy if you just leave out the crust! So be prepared to eat!

The Margarita pizza.... 

The Marinara which I totally fell in love with... I fell more and more in love with every bite...

The drink menu is also limited to beer, mineral water and coke.
Pizza with coke is always a treat! And drinking out of these coke bottles was pure nostalgia for me.

The pizza is definitely worth the wait. 
Find out more at their website: http://www.damichele.net/index.php?lang=uk


3. Pizzeria Trianon da Ciro

Trianon was the last pizzeria I tried in Naples and sadly the bottom of my list. 

I loved the art nouveau concept of the pizzeria though.






















































































































View from where I was seated... which is typical of a street in Naples.






































The thing i liked about Trianon was the variety of pizzas they had.






The most impressive for me was the "Pizza 7 Formaggi" (7 cheese pizza), I had only tried Quattro Formaggi pizzas (4 cheese pizza) before, and being a cheese lover I am, I had to order it.

There you go! I couldn't wait to dig in!







































With my 7 cheese pizza! HAPPY!






































The only complain i have about pizzas at Trianon is the fact that there was just way too much olive oil on them, and their crust is way heavier than the others I have tried.

The decor did however make up a little for the oily pizza.


























































And I love this oven! It has to be the prettiest one I've seen by far.






































Founders...





















Find out more about Trianon: http://www.pizzeriatrianon.it/

I like how the pizzerias in Naples have been passed down through the generations. It is interesting to know the history of these eateries and how they were founded.

I really felt nostalgic eating at all the old pizzerias- the ambience, the flavour of the food, the culture of the staff etc., was really an unforgettable experience. And the sad part is, after eating the best pizza (possibly in the world), eating pizza anywhere else will never be the same again.


No comments:

Post a Comment